Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Panajachel / Lago de Atitlan

Lake Atitlán is renowned as one of the most beautiful lakes in the world and is Guatemala's most important national and international tourist attraction. German explorer and naturalist Alexander von Humboldt called it "the most beautiful lake in the world," and Aldous Huxley famously wrote of it in his 1934 travel book Beyond the Mexique Bay: "Lake Como, it seems to me, touches on the limit of permissibly picturesque, but Atitlán is Como with additional embellishments of several immense volcanoes. It really is too much of a good thing. -- Wikipedia

Aldous Huxley is a damn fine wordsmith."touches on the limit of permissibly picturesque, but Atitlán is Como (a lake in Italy) with additional embellishments of several immense volcanoes. It really is too much of a good thing". I guess that is a tab bit better then "Lake Atitlan was amazing"

Yes I am still wearing the same T shirt after 4 days
I found myself in the very touristy town of Panajachel (Pana) after a long bus ride from Languin. I had been here before in October of 2010 while I was with Global Vision International. All I remember then was rain, lots and lots of rain.

The magic bus pulled into town just after sunset and there were hotels a plenty along with food stalls and bars along Calle Santander which was also hopping on a Saturday night. I loved the vibe. I wandered a bit until I stumbled across Hotel Uta Rajil. I was new, clean and I was ready for the hotel experience, including hot water all for $17 a night. I get that dorm rooms at the local hostel are $7 but how can you not adjust your budget to allow yourself the luxury of cable tv, a quiet room with a good bed, hot water and clean sheets. Maybe it's just me.


I had many options while I was here. I could take a collectivo panga to one of the small villages surrounding Atitlan. There are parks and hiking trails scattered around the lake plus Volcano Toliman,
Volcano De Atitlan and Volcano San Pedro looming beautifully and were calling my name. I can not tell a lie, I did nothing that did not include eating delicious street food, drinking coffee, wandering the waterfront, napping, taking hot showers, napping, walking up and down the main street and napping. I did go to a German bakery tonight and ate a large piece of chocolate blueberry cake for dinner.

I had a nice hotel room and I was going to take advantage of it. I even spent time watching bad American cable TV realizing after 15 minutes of drug advertising and commercials that I do not miss watching TV. I did switch over to a Spanish Soap Opera that made Coronation Street look like Shakespeare Theater.


I am all rested and tomorrow I head to Quetzeltenango which is referred to by its indigenous name Xela. There I am going to get off my butt and hike the fourth highest volcano in Guatemala, Santa Maria and the most active volcano in Guatemala, Santiaguito. There is also the highest volcano in Central America, Tajumulco that might get my undivided attention.

No comments: