Monday, December 7, 2015

Making No Cents With AdSense

*** This post was about putting Google Ads on my blog. This morning the little bastards are gone. That means some of this content will not make sense but I put it out there already so it stays.

I hate advertising! We get inundated with it where ever we go and no matter what we do. The Web, TV, Radio or walking the streets its advertising overload. I try and listen to the Toronto Maple Leafs games on web radio. with Jim Ralph and Harry Neale whom I find hilarious in that school boy pull my finger kind of way. But the commercials! Non stop and not funny in their attempt to be humorous.
Well I was thinking about it last night during the midnight "griteria and firewoks (more on that in the next post) and I realized I was being a complete douche posting ads on this site yet screaming that advertising was disgusting. All for a few possible dollars. What dink!  I am over it ***

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blogger, the website that I use to write this blog has a feature called Adsense and is exactly what you think it is. I can place google ads on my blog and make pennies with the click through and page impressions. I can put the ads at the top, the bottom the side or any combination there of. I have little or no control what ads are put on my site but Google being what it is will choose them for me based on my content. No big deal really so I decided to add it yesterday to see what happens.

Here is my question to you. Do they look like sh** (obviously yes) and lessen the pages you are reading? I would really appreciate any and all feedback so lay it on me. Are google ads something that you are just accustomed to seeing on every webpage you go to? I can turn them off with a simple click of the track pad.

Here is a telling statistic. In Q1 2014, Google earned US $3.4 billion ($13.6 billion annualized), or 22% of total revenue, through Google AdSense so it is certainly and important part of their business model.

To that point, I have been receiving encouragement and positive messages from readers and friends.  I would really like to hear from any of you out there in the world. Do you read this blog often? How did you find it? What do you like or dislike about it? Is there anything you would like me to write about while I am in certain countries or areas? Do you want information on working and living in certain countries? I can track countries, states and provinces but if you want to tell me where you are from that would be cool to.

Countries That Have Viewed This Blog At Least Once
Personally, I think you can find a story in most everything during your day if you just take the time to stop, watch and listen. I write about what I see, hear and think while trying to inject a little bit of humor where I can. I may go off the grid and get political or philosophical as sometimes the world or specific situations I see frustrates the shit out of me and my world. I will keep that to a minimum but it does give me great relief in doing so. Like religion my personal views do not need to be jammed down anyone's throat. As the great Ray Manzarek says after one of his many rants in his book Light My Fire, "sometimes I just need to get that off my spleen" I love that line.

I will not post names of people unless they approve and cite content that I use from different sources. I think you will notice I rarely review or proof what I write. I click publish when I am done and I hope the grammar and spelling are at least readable. This may actually be symbolic of how I live my life.

It is fun when a new country flag appears on my view list. I recently was viewed by someone in the Democratic Republic on Congo but no flag appeared. No worries about that. It's fun knowing you are out there and would love to hear from you. If you know someone from a country not show and want to share this blog link please do. You can make a guy giddy with excitement when new flags start showing up. To date there are 67 countries, 35 American States and 8 Canadian Provinces so thank you for that. Yes I suspect it is a bit of an ego trip but I am embracing it with out being a total douche about it.

Finally, I like to write. I find it fun, creative and relaxing. I also do not have the largest vocabulary so it is simple by nature. So again, thank you for reading and following from where ever you are. I look forward to hearing from you, or not that's OK to.




Just remember, "Deaths' Coming, Life's Foreplay. (yes I was drunk on Chicha in Peru and got that tattooed on my back. It sounded like a fine idea at the time.







No comments: