Thursday, July 19, 2012

About 4 Months Later....

My buddy Ed Blomeley recently asked me "Are you having a Bobby Ewing - waking up and everything was just a dream- moment. I was sitting at my new job with Thomson Reuters on the 4th floor of a sparkling new high rise at Bay and Adelaide dead in the middle of Toronto's financial district. After 21 months away I was literally right back where I had started. I loved that and the Groundhog day feeling I was having.

That I recently I put a close on my 21 month Latin American tour I reflected quite a bit on the comment and it made me smile. I accomplished everything that I set out to do when I decided to head out and clear my head after a prolonged shutdown of an office I worked to establish. Seeing 10 years of your hard work literally being tossed away and not existing any longer just because some executive was trying cut heads to save his job was jolting. With NO support at any level I closed and locked the the doors at 119 Spadina Suite 200 for the last time at 4:00 on May 19th, 2010. Jamie Reynolds and I took one look around, gave each other a look of  "job well done" and that was it. The end of STARTCAST.  The sweet irony is that the 3 Sr. Executive that were a part of the decision all lost their jobs the following year. Thank you Karma

The choices I made 2 years ago have lead me to where I am now. If I stayed the course I would be exactly where I was mentally. Sure I spent a boatload of $$ but I am in an great place right now. What more could you ask for.

It is as Dr. Susan Jeffers wrote so many years ago. We must feel the fear and do it anyways.  I think I wrote about how fear paralyzes us daily in a previous post so I will not re-hash it here. Now don't get me wrong.  I am not all about self help or daily positive self affirmations (maybe I should be) however that phrase and book entered my world about 20 years ago and has helped guide me when I was stalled. We all have things in our life that prevent us from making the changes we want to make and the changes we need to make to find just a little

I received great support and feedback about this blog. From the writing, (the attempted) humor and the honestly. The good, the bad and the best feedback of all, "I wrote where anyone could relate to the stories" and "it felt like I was along for the trip with you". It is with this in mind plus the gentle nudging of the woman making the home style burgers for the BBQ right now that I am going to start again.

Anyways, I find this writing therapeutic. I don't have a plan or agenda so lets see where this takes us.

Remember, Deaths Coming, Lifes Foreplay!

1 comment:

AC said...

Good to read this :-) The most difficult is the first step. We may stay in the same place for many years fearing to see what is behind our so called "safe" world but this is like accepting that the Death's Coming ;-) Life's Foreplay! Greetings from Poland - Kasia, Marcin & (s/he) ;-)