Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Propane/Natural Gas vs. Charcoal/Wood

Natural hickory smoked flavor. The irony drips off the label as you lick it from your finger tips. Spread this sauce on your meat while you barbeque to taste the great flavor of naturally hickory smoked meat.

When did propane powered stainless steel soul less BBQing actually take over from charcoal? Have you ever noticed that when you fire up an old school brickette bbq everyone within nasal power says "Oh I love that smell, and meat always tastes better on charcoal" . They then turn and tend to their propane powered dinner preparations. To add the insanity you can now add wood chips to your propane barbeque to enhance the flavor

Today's question is. Why do we give up something we like and that is better for something inferior just because its easier?

I am in a position right now where I can rekindle my love affair with old school outdoor cooking. I bought a $28.00, yes your read it correctly, $28.00 bbq from Canadian Tire.
When I asked the clerk for a hibachi she looked at me like I was from another planet. Another era, sure, but come on, its a hibachi. Solid cast iron, small and portable.
Well she directed me to the new line of charcoal wonders. Cheap Chinese made tin balls of crap but whats a guy to do. My new outdoor cooking life had to start some where. I was not going to be denied.

We have become condition to fast. Send a text and expect a reply in less then 15 seconds or start stressing. Want to eat, it better be ready in 5 to 8 minutes. We are compelled to rush to work so we can switch from mobile device to laptop as quickly as possible in case we miss anything.

I guess my thought is this. If you know something is good and you like it more then go for it, especially if it takes a little more time to get it. Anticipation is a part of every enjoyed experience. Most great dinners I have had (less the familiar family bullshit) the food took all day to cook and sometimes preparation was 2 days..but they were amazing dinners.

So turn off the propane, put away the smoked flavored sauce and open up the brickettes, then take your time with that burger because clean up is a breeze.


No comments: