Tuesday, September 15, 2015

If You’re Not Getting Better, You’re Getting Passed

I read this quote today in an article about Mike Babcock, coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs and considered one of the best coaches in the NHL. I thought its brilliance was in it's simplicity.

"I think we all are guilty of complacency. Human nature. However does it really need to happen? We do not need huge changes to break the cycle. The smallest shift in dynamics will put you on a new trajectory. It's just the size of the shift that increase the speed of change. Now no matter what you do, embrace it. YOU choose to do it. Become the best you can and when you have reached the place where there is nothing else to learn..DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. That is where complacency rears its ugly head."

I have written about Fear, Adventure, Someday and I guess I will add Complacency to the list. I think it is the cause of so much sadness. People give up when coiled in it's nasty embrace. It brings the fantasy of comfort and the fear of change. Then BAM, POW, BOOM (that's my tribute to Batman) time has passed, you are bored and question your life. Challenge yourself.

How many times have you heard "when I lost my job it was the best thing that ever happened to me"? Well when I lost my job at Bell it was "the best thing to happen to me". I learned to embrace change, learn and understand the opportunity exists everywhere but the most important lesson I have learned is you have to Grab That Opportunity. What has happened since I left Bell 4 year ago.

1. I Learned Spanish (although I do not practice or study as much as I should)
2. Volunteered in Indigenous Schools in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Ecuador
3. Traveled in and around Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Antarctica, Uruguay and Bolivia.
4. Traveled to New Brunswick and saw a Right Whale close up
5. Drove from Ontario to Alberta to Ontario 7 times
6. Started a new career and learned to Drive a Rig in the Oil Patch and work for long hours in -30 degree weather
7. Knowing that working in the Oil Patch is not a long term career path for me
8. Re-Connected with someone from my past who has become critical to my life and well being (Even if I do keep leaving)
9. Tried to re-enter the corporate world and from the first moment knew that it was not going to work. You CAN NOT go back if you have evolved.
10.  As much as I have tried to spend extended time in Niagara Falls, there is a Black Cloud that hangs over the place. It really is the oddest city I have ever been to or lived in.

So there I was, again sitting on the edge of the abyss known as complacency. I was working at a job I liked but did not love and sadly was only working there for the $$$. It was an means to an end but I had to be careful about the timeline. I could see the next 10 years fly by. NO FUCKING WAY was that going to happen. I lived in a town that I hated. I had to ask myself, "self. if your working in the Alberta oil fields why are you living in the middle of the prairies and not near the mountains". Answer, complacency. Its easy.

What could I really I benefit from a simple change of locations. I could stay with Badger Daylighting however if I need to find a new company I will. I will have a better apartment that faces the mountains.  I will learn to drive the mountains and get experience chaining up and being a better, safer driver (If I do not get killed). Wildlife will abound. Here in Lloyd it's Cows, Buffalo and deer. This was an interesting time to be sure

Well Sir, in early July I hit the wall with life in the Oil Patch in Western Canada. I had the realization that it certainly was not the life for me regardless of the amount of oil dollars I could sock away. It was not the worst experience in my life, far from it. However this is NOT where I want to be. This is NOT a lifestyle that I want. So I left Badger Daylighting knowing where I wanted to go, and where I really wanted to be. Nicaragua.

Short thought Positives: 
- I learned how to drive a class 3 vehicle. The power and confidence that brought to an old computer hack was empowering.
- As with the chaos that can be my journey I reaffirmed that yes you can do what you want if you are ready to actually do it and not just talk about "one day I will...."
- I realized what I have known all my life. The drive for the almighty dollar is a false prophecy. (yes an atheist using the word prophecy makes no sense what so ever). If money is your driving force man you need to do something else.
** As an aside, YES I understand we all need to make money to live in this society. We need food, shelter, clothing and sadly. Stuff and more stuff!! I get it. I am not against $$$ I am against $$$ being the main reason to get out of bed in the morning.
- I drove across the country 6 times.
- I worked as far North and West as Fort St. John British Columbia as well as countless locations in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
- I appreciate the beauty of Northern and Northwestern Ontario.
- Learning to work 12 to 14 hour days, outside in -30 temperature

Short Thought Negatives:
- The general mentality in the Oil Patch is rediculous
- To many guys making to much money with nothing to do so its drinking, drugs and new trucks
- To many guys can not read or spell and really have no desire to learn.
- Guys do not want to take vacations or days off. "I am a worker", "I will miss a days pay". Good bye relationships, good buy health, good bye time.
- Being constantly "On Call". See above
- The pillaging of the Earth. I have seen it, been a part of it and did not want to do it any longer.
- Bears

Those are some quick and general thoughts. I do wish I would have blogged about my 2 years in the patch but alas it is not to be. I will conclude that I made mad $$$, saw some great parts of the country,  and there were some interesting people, places and incidents. Mostly with me sliding into a ditch.

Finally, I want to thank everyone that took a chance on me and gave me the opportunity to learn and thrive. It was not for me, but I am grateful and happy that I did it. So here's to you folks, cheers and best of luck.












"If you’re not getting better, you’re getting passed"


2 comments:

Caitlyn Tran said...

On your list, am I number 8? Lol
I love this post

Unknown said...

Great insight into life. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve butted up against the wall of complacency and sat and wondered if this is all there is. You’ve done something when you have hit that wall. I’m not sure I have the guts to jump and make the changes you have. You see the positives so clearly – that’s a gift.

Rudy Swanson @ Haaker