Thursday, October 29, 2015

Oh What A Lazy Week It Has Been

So far its been the wind down week I wanted. I took my tired self and switched between big comfy chair and big comfy hammock. That was my plan and I am sticking to it.

It between naps and moments of sloth I did manage to climb a cathedral, visit the Heroes and Martyrs museum, hit YaVoy for a great burger and Banana con leche for Briana's despedidia,
followed up by a despedida breakfast at 6:30 the next morning (holy hell). I found a great local Nica market for cheap eats while dodging oddly new cars, a horse and cart, pedicabs with wild eyed drivers that aimed for me and a pack of street dogs. I also planned a lesson for the class I am going to teach on Saturday and knocked off a few more chapters of Blue Highways, the book I just can not seem to finish.
All this being done while based in the tranquility that is the walled gardens of The Harvest House Hostel. My week of tranquility is only to be shattered by the F**king rooster that lives behind us. Oh and the amazing experience that are fire ants finding and feasting on your feet. Good Times!

None the less this is going to be home for a while. It is a way back off the street so it is quite (except for that god da** rooster) and quite serene. I am also putting together my teacher centered resume. I do not think Oil Field truck driver and bartender are going to make the cut.

This journey is not going to be without it's challenges. There will be many opportunities for work and there are also online teaching options. My biggest hurdle will the dumb choice of leaving University and working as a bartender because the money and lifestyle at the time was pretty damn amazing. No degree and my age will be hurdles. Not mountainous but challenging non the less. Believe it or not many schools will not hire anyone over 40. Again, that does not mean there is no work. It just means I do not have the options of a 23 year old university graduate (the young  educated little bastards). To that point, I am teaching this Saturday, I just need to tick a few places off my list. Taiwan, Korea, China anything in the Middle East (egad). Now it was mentioned to me that with a few years experience doors tend to open especially if I show up in the country I want to work in and knock on doors. We will deal with that frustration when that day arrives. Right now my issue are fire ants and they winning.

Anyways, one place that is an option is Georgia. Not in the southern USA and home to peaches and Coca Cola. Georgia the country in central Asia with some of the oldest Catholic and Christian churches on the planet (betcha didn't know that). There is some history there that boggles the mind and that country interests me plenty even though it was invade by Russia as recently as 2008. No problem. I would just give the big old bear a hug, a huge bottle of vodka, all the money I had and ask him to point me to the nearest exit.

So in no particular order and based on my TEFL certification, age and growing experience it will be Nicaragua, Colombia, Mexico, Georgia and then Vietnam plus teaching online. Of course that will all change 6 months from now. Especially if I kill that damn rooster.



No comments: