Saturday, October 19, 2013

688 km - Terrace Bay to Kenora

I am focused on Thunder Bay for a few reasons. First its at Thunder Bay that I actually turn West. The Terry Fox Memorial is here and as the Greatest Canadian this is going to be one of my random stops. Third, I spent 4 months in Thunder Bay 15 years or so ago doing some work on a CD Rom for Old Fort Williams. A CD that eventually was never published. This was a nasty period in my computer life and every single day I would wake up, look in the mirror and say to myself. "Ken, what the fuck are you doing here?"


What is there to say about Terry Fox that has not already been said.? I paid my respects, and enjoyed the view of superior. Terry Fox did not stop at this exact spot but its a fitting location for the monument. 

 I am a bit jaded when it comes to waterfalls having grown up in Niagara Falls, seen Gulfoss in Iceland and Iguazu Falls from the Argentine side. I came across Kekabeka falls which calls itself the Niagara Falls of the North. That's a stretch but it was nice to view for about 2 minutes.
Remember the episode of National Lampoons Vacation when Chevy Chase and  Beverly D'angelo stop and look at the Grand Canyon, well this was life imitating art again.  Next up, Dryden and my final stop Kenora. The drive was long and I made a few stops to rest and enjoy the fresh air of the north.

No comments: