“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
– Mark Twain
– Mark Twain
We only knew each other for a short time but your impact has changed the way I view the world as well as my life. Maybe it was the illusion that you were impossible to meet, that you were cold and distant or I was not up to the challenge but Antarctica it was love at first sight.
It is the explorers who marked the way for me that are the giants and need to be remembered. Edmunson, Shakelton, Gerlache and Drake lead the way and I can only follow their footsteps with comforts that they never knew. To the many nameless men who died while exploring you, it is those who I thank for the opportunity to have just touch the surface of what you have to offer.
No land has ever mesmerized me like you have. Nobody can take away the fact I walked upon your shores or came within metres of your deep blue glaciers and icebergs. I was entertained by your whales, seals, penguins and birds. Your oceans showed their strength and your winds howled their songs. There was a constant sun that played with my patterns while the Drake Passage at first showed its mercy and then made sure I understood how small we really are.
- No words can describe you and no photos can do you justice.
- You are the mysterious love we all want but are afraid to pursue.
- You are the first girl I ever kissed and that will be etched in my consciousness forever never be forgotten no matter how long it takes for us to meet again. The kiss that enriches my memories and has taken my travel and life experiences to levels I never thought could be possible.
- You are only three colours but are the most colourful place I have ever seen
- The hues of blue you produced everywhere stopped me cold
- Your winds were strong and your oceans powerful.
- The sun produced a sliver of warmth that cheered everything up
- You have no Television, telephone or Internet. The only devices I needed to use were my eyes and ears.
- Your inhabitants were not afraid but playful and welcoming.
- You are inspirational but deadly, beautiful but treacherous far but very near
- You are at the end of the world but now close to my heart.
- You are the land that takes your breath away with just one look.
- You do not need more than your three colors to be beautiful.
- To respect the power of your oceans is an understatement.
- No engineer could ever design your icebergs
- No artist could match your use of blue
- No weatherman can predict your moods
- You have the ability to melt hearts and change the world
You have opened my eyes to what is possible. Thank you for changing my life.
That's a great coda to what sounds like an awesome adventure. Loved it.
On the way to the pole, Amundsen wrote "Glittering white, shining blue, raven black. Lit by the sun, this land looks like a fairytale."
I hope I'll experience it myself one day...
Post a Comment