Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Day In Temuco


Memorial to the Battles Fought in Temuco
Mapuche, Spanish and Chileano
This is not an aweful city, its just not a tourist or backpackers city.But you can have fun anywhere all you have to do is look for it or better of, make it. I put it in the same category as Estelli Nicaragua and that is heady company. Both are working towns and not being a tourist town is what appeals to me. Its rough around the edges however as I said yesterday the University district is new, modern and looks like it could be alot of fun.
My first stop was to Plaza Anibal Pinto, better known in every other city and town as Plaza De Armas. It was nice. Large Palm trees with crazy thick trucks, a nice fountain and what I was looking for. This monument to the Machupe battles through the years. Its really well done with figures from the three main historical cultures. Mapuche, Chileano and Spanish. I dont take to many photos of monuments but this one got the full treatment. The park was lush and green and a great way to spend an hour drinking coffee and watching the world go by.


Amanecer rocking out
 Once in a while you will come across a street performer and get blown away. This is Amanacer which oddly enough means Sunrise. Whatever works for you brother because I spent another hour just listening to this guy play. It helped that every single woman who came within earshot stopped as well. Nothing rocking about this guy, it was all deep soulful songs about love and life but the truth was he could play and sing. The only thing missing was an agent and recording contract.
I supported him and bought 2 discs ($5). I cant remember the last time I actually bought music. Anyways I talked with him and his buddy who was hawking the discs for about 10 minutes. He told me he was playing all his life but had kids and a wife and he needed to take care of them so hits the park and streets to make some extra money (He drives taxi for a living).  I am very gradually slowing down and starting to appreciate street life from the reality of it.

A new town means its Market Time! The main market here like everywhere was fantastic. Best of all its cherry season and without a doubt my favourite seasonal fruit. Dont worry bananas you will never be replaced. These are sweet and delicious. So much for I ate a kilo of them and now have that "oh god" sick feeling in my stomack. Whatever it was worth it. My kilo cost me $1000 pesos are about $2. I think the Canadian dollar has fallen since I have been in Chile. I just convert using XE.com  and have not just started paying attention. Its now $1 Canadian = 500 CLP. If memory serves it was 560CLP when I cross the border...and what the hell kind of sentence is "If memory servers"
Just a quick shot of one of the many stalls. I estimate there were 200 with every fruit, veggie and spice available.
I purchased 1 kilo of cherrys, .5 kilo of strawberrys, 3 apples, 3 oranges, 3 bananas, 1 avocado, 3 eggs, 1 cucumber, 1.5 litres of water and 3 buns. The magic final total was $2200 CLP or $4.40C more or less. I have a bus trip into the mountains tomorrow so the road snacks will be a nice change from potato chips.
** I dont know what it is about buying things in 3's but thats what I do. I also book 3 nights when I reserve online (unless its just a stop over). Very Odd.

A Few Market Shots.






Yuppers its fruit and veggies. I am trying some things with my camera because I tend to take the same style of photos, so as I do something different you have to look at it. Finally my favourite photo of the day. As I posted on FB this horse is probably thinking, what the crap did I do in previous life to deserver this fate!
This market is no different than anywhere else where as the farmers and indiginous come to town daily to sell thier goods. This is thier mode of transportation. Family and goods just pack up and head to market, pack up and head home. The horse well you see his day.

I am heading to the Anden Rose Hotel tomorrow for..you guessed it, 3 nights. It located near the small town of Charcautin near Parque Nacional Conguillio. Home of the spectacular smoking cone of Volcan Llaima which coincidently is one of the most active volcanos in the world. Last eruption was April of 2009. I am going to climb that puppy.


No comments: