Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cotapaxi ReDux

Today started as a "I am going to drink coffee, read and well do nothing day" and it ended up being "lets rent bikes, go up to Cotapaxi then return back and drink lots of beer". I like how it ended.

Jenny (who I worked with in Otavalo) and her friend Stuart showed up at my hotel which was a great surprise. After a couple of coffees and catch up chat we rented bikes to..you guessed it, return to Cotapaxi. All was good though. It was cloudy, raining and our bikes were old so what could go wrong! It took us about and hour and a half to get to the ranger station that was only 5km away, but it was all up the freaking volcano trail!! Stopping more than once for water or to contemplate "walking or riding" up the next hill kept us laughing. I am sure I heard a good Scotish.."FOOK THAT" more than once.


At the entrance to the park.

Milling around the ranger station the decision to coast back down and go for beers was easy. Off we went down the freaking bumpiest road and full tilt. My hands were shattered when I got back. The three of us leaped of our bikes when we got to Jenny and Stuarts hotel which was just inside the park and ran into the bar. The owners had a fire going to dry us off, and we chilled for a couple hours drinking the litre beers I have come to love.

Next up, dinner back at my hotel. Only problem was multiple large beer on an empty stomach and having to cross the crazy busy Panamericana Highway. No worries but HOLY Crap, the 1.5 km back to Cuello de Luna was Brutally tough for all of us. We ordered great Pasta and Meat sauce, drank a bit more, laughed alot then had a night cap by the fireplace.  A very good day indeed although I can not feel my legs.

The end of a good day.



No comments: