Friday, October 7, 2011

Ecuador vs. Venezuela

I just finished a session at the INCA pub watching Ecuador vs. Venezuela in a World Cup Qualifier. If there is anything that connects people I have to believe it is sport. My spanish is, well shit although I can Forrest Gump my way through the day but cold beer and sports on TV eliminates any language barrier.


Ecuador has a pretty decent squad having qualifed for the last couple of world cups. They have guys like Máximo Banguera who play for Barcelona and Antonio Valencia who plays for Man U. so these guys have skill. From the start it was all Ecuador and although the nuances of the game are lots on me (even though I played for many years pre booze, drugs and music) the energy of any sport is the same. Yelling, screaming at the TV, Gooooooal and high fives are universal...and some where outside there was a crowd with a bunch of drums. I was afraid to look.


Final score, Ecuador 2 Venezuela 0. The streets were filled with people emptying out after the game, no different that a Leaf game. Cars blaring thier horns, people drinking on the street and its controlled chaos because.......LOTs of police, military and other soldiers in various uniforms on the street, riding motorcyles, in cars and all of them have very large weapons. I like it! Allows a drunken gringo like me return home (and go out again in about an hour) with out an issue. (*** Not that there would be an issue).


So after a day of running around taking photos of probably the prettiest town I have been to yet I now sit with a cold Pilsner and think about the Leafs. Toronto fans could not be this much fun, no matter how much they try (same with Montreal or Vanwhorever )



UNESCO Heritage for a reason.

No comments: