Friday, October 21, 2011

A Quick Stop in Nazca

Home of the famous Nazca lines this town was about 8 hours by bus from Lima. Another stunning drive through the desert. I am now in this little valley town that is surrounded by high rolling peaks. But, dont let that fool ya, this town is a bit of a shit hole tourist town. Getting of the bus the touts run right to you with Deals on hotels and trips. They have fake tourist badges and their english is impeccable. Any hotel you are staying at is closed but they know a better one. Its funny.  I am sure they get thier share of doe eyes tourists like anywhere. (*ahem, Niagara Falls*)

The Nazca lines would be worth the effort but there have been 3 plane crashes this year alone killing everyone on board. The planes are old, over booked and my favourite they dont fill up the fuel tanks to save money. They do the tour, turn off the engines and glide back to the airport. Nice. The Pilots and tour companies are rich and powerful in this town so the government does nothing. There is a Mirador or lookout up the highway, I can catch a bus for 4 soles, about 50 cents and have a look. Its not amazing but then again I am not real interested. Somethings grab your attention and you will do anything to be a part of it, others no so much.

I am at the El Mirador near the Plaza de Armas. A typical 2 start jobber but the terrace on the roof overlooks the square. I just downed my daily Pepsi and watched a random Holloween parade while contemplating my next move. I am only going to stay the night and catch a bus to Arequpia tomorrow but the choices are limited. For whatever reason many of the buses are night journeys which means hanging around until 10 pm. There is a 1 30 bus that  will get into Arequipa around 11pm so I can deal with that.  I do like travelling in the day as the countryside here is spectacular and forever changing. This is definately NOT the Niagara QEW to Toronto.  However, every guide book says that the night buses between Nazca and Arequipa have the highest rate of violent robberies. Well go figure its in the middle of the mountains and desert, with nobody around and the buses are usually full of tourists. Why chance it eh, what is my little pocket knife going to do agains a fully armed and angry Ladrone! knowing I would do something stupid.

To recap, gross little tourist town, planes crashing, violent  highway robberies and random hollween parade all topped up my an ice cold Pepsi. Thats not in the guide book! Sorry, I forgot the great street meat on a bun for a dollar.

Jenny and Stuart have moved on to Cuzco for a week. Hopefully we will regroup in Arequipa with a few people from GVI Peru. They have been fun to be with and its always nice to have a friendly face with you on the road, even for a short while. There has been some talk of the Colca Canyon, a hike up Misti and Tattoos!


Random photo in Plaza Del Armas, Lima

No comments: