Thursday, October 6, 2011

Latacunga to Cuenca

Although unofficial I think today is the beginning of the rainy season. Now that being said there was a reason I had my eyes closed for much of the bus ride today from Latacunga to Cuenca. The road was a South American cliche. Narrow, winding and huge drop offs on one side. Thankfully the bus driver was only going as fast as manically, I mean mechanically possible.

All told the drive was amazing. We came through some brilliant mountain passes, the clouds hung low and when the sun was setting it was a very impressive site, those Andeas Mountains. We passed through Alausi, a town that seemed to be hanging just on the edge of the cliffs. Through Canar whose Cathedral was posted high in the hills and lit up for everyone in the surrounding valleys to see. My plan was to stop in Alausi to take the train ride, the Nariz del Diablo through the mountains. You can actually ride on top of the train so that had me going..BUT the train is cancelled because of the rain tomorrow and Friday so I just stayed on the bus and made my way to Cuenca.

On the bus I did have a great talk with a local farmer. Jose was a native indian, about 60, had 8 kids who all lived at home and worked the farm with him. He tried to teach me some Quecha but I kept screwing up so we laughed and just rambled on in Spanish. He could not comprehend flying and was speechless when I said I could fly from Canada to Ecuador in about 6 hours. *** Remember this is a peasant farmer who just got electricity to his house 10 years ago***.

He asked me if I wanted to come to his house in his town (dont remember but it was on the bus route), have dinner and meet his family. Now normally I would think this odd but this and other offers I have recieved are genuine. For him to walk into his house with a Westerner for dinner he said it would be a huge celebration. I dont know why I said No but thank you. These are the reasons I am on the road and it would have been brilliant. I am sure after dinner and lots of Chicha there was a bed for me and a walk back to the bus in the morning. ** I can NOT pass up these type of opportunites any more!!**  I can talk to all the Germans, Aussies, Brits and Americans in any hostel.

No worries, I have a cold Pilsner in front of me, I am at a great hostel and there is a Moroccan restaurant next door, time for some grub that is not Seco Pollo.


Latacunga Nights

No comments: