Saturday, October 1, 2011

Volcan Cotapaxi? No those are clouds..and rain, RUN

Ok, so clouds are covering Cotapaxi and its raining and cold, but I do have a roaring fire in my room here at Hotel de Cuello on the edge of Cotapaxi National Park. The bus ride from Quito was simple enough (as most bus rides in Latin America are) and the $1.80 it cost was typical. Usually $1 per hour.

I did get dropped off on the side of the highway (again as is the norm). You just have to tell any bus driver where you want to stop and BOOM, there you are. It was not until I strolled over to the big Welcome to the National Park sign did I see the little sign that said the Volcano is 16km inland from the highway. MotherFu*****. Well tomorrow will start early and it should be easy enough to grab a ride, or several short ones from other hikers, milk trucks, locals or a donkey or two.

Best part of my day hands down was after I got off the bus and started the 2 KM trek with full gear to the Hotel, In the opposite direction of the Volcano!! The Hacienda, not hotel is nice and worth the $18 a night, breakfast included. (pictures later). Ok, back to the best part of my day. Along the trail I reached T and there were signs for the Hacienda..BUT NO ARROW. Whats a guy to do. I naturally went straight as it seemed logical enough. Walking along getting a little tired and starting to realize my choice was wrong along came a beat up old pickup truck that I waved down. I screeched to a halt and stalled. Funny enough, but went I walked over to ask my standard Como Puedo llegar... I notice a kid was driving, and I mean a kid. The older boy next to him had a younger girl on his lap. Thinking nothing of it I ask for directions and the older boys said jump in the back, we will take you there. Typcial of any situation I have encountered on this trip.

Just for fun I ask the kid driving, your just learing to to drive how is it going. "first time he says". Well your doing great, how old are you. "I am 10 and my older brother is teaching me to drive, he is 14, but he is a good driver".  Ok, what the hell, I jump in the back, and wait for one of the oncoming trees to bounce of my skull as I get piched back and forth on this hilly, rock strewn, pot hold "road". Son of a bitch, this kid could drive!!  I arrived alive and as I waved good bye the two of them had Huge grins on thier faces.


Adios Quito, fue la diversion

No comments: